Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Beers of the USA

Yeah, this will be a short blog entry. Not! Again, the USA struck me with a positive surprise. The fucking Budweiser bullshit you're fed with all over the world certainly exists in New York as well, but to a much less extent than feared. Instead a zillion microbreweries are all over the place and available at all places I visited at least. Here is a selection of what I tasted during a week Over There:

- Stone Mill Pale Ale - a very nice pale ale indeed
- Ithaca Nut Brown Ale - boring
- Shakespear Stout - a nice, very well roasted stout
- Rouge Imperial Porter - a really heavy porter, with many tones, complex indeed
- Black Brutal Bitter - brutal!
- Issaquah Frog Rye IPA - rich!
- Negra Modelo - a very nice ale
- El Presidente - a plain, boring pilsner
- Kelso Pilsner - boring
- Magic Hat Circus Boy - a rich butter taste, not bad at all
- Brooklyn Brown Ale - a nice ale widely available in NY at least
- Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter - tough shit, not for beginners, indeed, "edgy"
- Widmer Hefeweizen - tasteless (the porter before might have killed it...)
- Blue Point Toasted Lager -
- Captain Lawrence Pumpkin - made of pumpkins, a tasty clove twist, making the lager a bit less boring
- Goose Island Honker Ale - me like!

To be honest I think I think (funny language, English ;) the pilsners are boring due to 2 facts: I'm becoming an ale lover (the taste is so much richer!) and a pilsner should be enjoyed ice cold in a hot sauna (which is totally against the Germans' weird traditions).

A funny thing is how wheat beers (Weizen, Weissbier etc) have become popular in the USA also. The perfect summer beer. I remember my first nights in Germany when I sat on the south side of The Main, enjoying cold Weizen in the warmth, watching the sun set behind the Frankfurt skyline...

No comments: