Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Chat using only free software

XMPP is the free way to communicate between any devices or computers. Here is a quick start guide but I'll tell you what I did. First of all I chose to use the jabber.at XMPP server/service. I've seen the name often but the main reason was it is run by Fachschaft Informatik at the Technical University of Vienna. So there is no greed behind but instead a strong belief in politics and freedom. Because XMPP is free there are many servers to choose from so make your own choice! They all work together so you can chat with your friends regardless of what server they use.

Then of course you need a client. Again there are many but these are recommended by jabber.at. My choice for Android is Conversations as it works with OpenKeychain and it is available for free from F-droid. So install a client you like, enter the account you created and start chatting!

No comments: